Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Nyonya One Restaurant, Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur

Back in May, before I left on my Manhattan sojourn, I read this article in The Star. It was about a Nyonya restaurant in Sri Petaling, and since it wasn't too far away, hubby and I decided to check it out. I am a big fan of Nyonya food, after all.


The restaurant is located just opposite/across the road from the Shell and Esso petrol stations in Sri Petaling.

The very friendly proprietor Madam Leong recommended I try the Nyonya Teh Tarik (RM2.50) which was basically milk tea with pandan juice. The pandan was very fragrant, but the milk and tea could have been thicker, methinks. I do think that this combo was a rather unique idea nonetheless.

We both had the pandan rice (RM3.00) which came sans santan, and with some dried shrimps and sambal on the side.
The BMO Chicken (RM8.50) had really strong contrasting flavours. Chicken coated with basil, mint leaves and sweet oyster sauce in a very hot mini wok....it was definitely memorable. 

We also ordered the sambal pucuk paku (RM8.00) which according to the cook, had no belacan. It contained fermented soya beans instead....which was unusual.

The otak-otak kadok (RM12.00) came all wrapped up in banana leaves. It was unlike the one that I'm used to (the Penang version), this one was drier and according to the cook, this dish also contained no santan. I fancied it a tad hard in texture, or maybe it's because my palette is so used to the Penang version which is almost custardy.

The bill amounted to RM37.50 for the 2 of us. I would say the restaurant does try to impress, but I do not quite understand the rationale for not using santan and belacan in their dishes when these 2 ingredients are pretty important in Nyonya dishes. Health concerns perhaps?  

The Nyonya One Restaurant
23, Jalan Radin Anum,
Bandar Baru Seri Petaling,
57000 Kuala Lumpur.
Mobile: 016-7028511 (Madam Leong)


3-bams!


No comments: