Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tai Tong Restaurant, Lebuh Cintra, Penang

This corner pre-war shophouse is an institution in Penang. Tai Tong has been in operation for umpteenth years, I remember dining here as a kid.

These days, it's a dim sum heaven, crowded to the brim when we last visited. Grouchy old lady- waitresses rule the roost here, so you'd better be on your best behaviour!

We had a big pau with sweet lotus paste and a salted egg yolk. It was BIG.

Char siew pau, also BIG.

Lor mai kai, this tasted ok.
Fried radish cake, pretty good, though it could use a little more burnt edges.

Neat little parcels of pandan chicken, I liked this alot for the juicy, fragrant bone-free meat.

Fried prawns coated in batter. The batter was a tad too thick and hard.

Minced meat and prawns in lohbak skin....yummy!

Hong Kong chee cheong fun, not the Penang type.
Steamed pork ribs. I had the lion's share since this was my favourite dim sum dish.

Siew mai, too porky tasting.

Har mai, better.

Har kow, even better! Prawns! Prawns! Prawns!

Wu kok. I don't fancy yam much, so I gave this a pass. It looked pretty enough, though.

Prawns, deep fried in lohbak skin. Good, albeit could have been crunchier!
The price for each item ranges from RM0.80 - RM6.50.

Hubby's bro belanja-ed I think the bill came to around RM60.00+ for the four of us.



Tai Tong Restaurant
45 Lebuh Cintra,
10100 Penang.
Tel: 04-2636625




A 3-bam for the huge variety of dim sum available here.






3 comments:

foodbin said...

those waitresses should retire-but i love the shape of the loh mai kai. the dim sum looks tasty too.

Anonymous said...

No doubt Penang is the place to be when it comes to food. I can’t believe I’m seeing these wonderful photos…ok gotta go makan. I’m so hungry now…

I compiled Penang Tourism Guide recently. Please visit and have some comments .. Hopefully I will visit Penang soon :)

cheers Ö

Jessica said...

foodbin: lol! i agree. btw, wow you have sooo many blogs!

tsaloo: nice blog you've got! it's missing one very important aspect of penang, though....where to find good penang FOOD! :D