Ok, so hubby-to-be and I tried this out yesterday evening, and it tasted kinda good.....
1. Add garlic, fresh ginger, 1 red chilli, 4 birds-eye chillies, shaoxing wine, sesame oil, dark and light soy sauces, 2 cups water, star-anise, cinnamon, a pinch of clove, sugar, pre-soaked chinese mushrooms, black pepper and szechuan pepper to slow cooker and bring to boil.
2. Add ribs and simmer on slow, covered, until meat is very tender, about 4 hours.
3. Steam 2 eggs (in shell) and potatoes. Peel eggs and potatoes and add into slow cooker. Continue simmering.
4. Remove ribs and drain remaining liquid in sauce pan for thickening. Stir occasionally for 10-20 mins till sauce is reduced to 50%. Add cornstarch and water, stir continuously until sauce is thickened.
5. Reduce heat, add ribs and mix till meat is well covered with sauce.
6. Serve sprinkled with chopped scallions and coriander (optional).
We also whipped up a couple of side dishes for dinner......